Tuesday, April 19, 2005

untitled

I don't really like talking about myself on here, but right now I'm really not sure what else to do. About 20 minutes ago I came to the realization that my Gamecube, controllers, and games were all missing. Given that it couldn't have been many places, the conclusion that it had been stolen set in fairly quickly. There is no worse feeling than that of being stolen from. At least none that I have experienced. I feel so helpless that all I can do is talk about it by myself.

This situation has led to all sorts of questions in my head, hopefully they can be answered at some point. Either way this exactly the kind of thing I don't want to be have to be thinking about at this point, but there's no escaping this shit from consuming my thoughts.

The first thing to figure out is when it was stolen. In reality I hadn't played the system since coming back from spring break, and I can't recall looking at where I kept it underneath the TV in some time. The system is silver and had a yellow controller, not exactly the dullest of colours.
My schedule has been so inconsistent this semester it's tough to pinpoint giant spans of time where I hadn't been around other than spring break. More on this part in a bit.

The question then shifts to how the room was entered. There appears to be one of two possibilities here. Since I have a balcony that overlooks the backyard, it's quite possible that that door was used to get in, especially since the bathroom adjacent to my room has a window that can exit out onto the same balcony (Windsor architecture) if opened. If it happened when I think it did though chances are fairly unlikely they got in that way cause both those doors would in all probability be locked. This leads to my thinking it was my room door they/he/she came through. Normally I would've said unlikely because I lock my door everytime I'm gone for even 2 minutes. While I was gone though, and at a few other points, my landlord has shown the house to other people looking to rent it for next year. However, since they are retarded everytime they key in to my room to show it, they close the door, but FORGET TO LOCK IT.

Suspects:

Suspect #1. Girl who lives below me, or her boyfriend. Both use my bathroom upstairs. Both were here on reading week, girl knew I wasn't here. Boyfriend has never really said anything to me. Never really seen where it was kept, but would know when the landlord had been through to show the house.

Motivation to steal from me: I play music occasionally too loud at night, subwoofer is right above her bedroom. Also caught them both stealing from my toothpaste last week, responded with a note that read "This isn't Shoppers Drug Mart. Please Don't Steal My Toothpaste." Would imply GC was stolen recently which doesn't seem very likely today.

Suspect #2. Nigerian guy in basement, who is always around. Knocks on door frequently, if knocks go unanswered, tries the knob. Comes from Nigeria, land of scam artists, and really hasn't done much to disprove that line of thinking, even as shortsighted as it may be.

Motivation to steal from me: He's a hardcore Christian, didn't take it well when I explained to him Jesus was not my saviour. Potentially moving out cause I blocked him from moving upstairs with me. Landlord explained it to him in similar terms that it was me and not them who didn't want him on the 2nd floor, even though they agreed with me. Has shady friends who aren't exactly the most honest people.

Now, the real the question is where do I go from here, and is there anyway to get anything back out of this situation. Do I confront either roommate about it, because obviously they are going to deny it and it won't go anywhere, especially given the time lapse since when I think it's happened. How much worse could this possibly make the next two weeks while they're still living here?

Second is the landlords' possible involvement in the whole thing. If it can be proven (which I think there is a strong case for) that they left my door unlocked when I was back home, shouldn't they be responsible for anything stolen? They have it written into the lease that the landlord isn't responsible for anything stolen from the tenants, but if they enabled the theft to occur, how could the lease protect them against this? The reason people use locks on their door is to prevent things like this from happening, so I can't see them not being liable if I can prove what I think went down actually did happen.

I don't know at this point whether I should file a police report either, because of the amount of time that has now elapsed. But if I do, there's potential for it to be covered by insurance, even though on paper it's only about $275.

In the end, at least my parents will be happy to know I've at least been doing so much schoolwork that I didn't realize my Gamecube was gone for over a month. Plus the fact that now that it's gone I couldn't play videogames even if I wanted to.

I'm at a loss for words. I'll just say it really sucks, my faith in humanity took a huge dent today.