Saturday, June 25, 2005

2005 Albums of the Year so far

Because I don't think I'll really give a fair assessment of early releases in the end of year spectacular, this list is as much for me as it is for you. You won't see many repeats from the list I did in March, but the beginning of the year is always slower.

*Special Prize* for song title of the year so far: Out Hud - Dear Mr. Bush, There Are Over 100 Words For Shit And Only 1 For Music. Fuck You, Out Hud

2005 albums of the year to date

10. The Deathray Davies - The Kick and the Snare - Underwhelming but well produced. Doesn't try to beat you over the head with anything, more of a slip something in your drink kind of subtlety to it.
09. Supersystem - Always Never Again - LCD Soundsystem Jr., which I wouldn't consider much of an insult if it came from a reputable music critic instead of me. Nevertheless...
08. Aqueduct - I Sold Gold - What happens when you don't listen as much to a piece of music because you overplayed it. Great album, but I ruined it for myself.
07. Thunderbirds Are Now - Justamustache - Living here for the last four and a half years, it's taken until now to really become enamored with a band from the D. Justamustasche doesn't afford you the chance to catch your breath, which is probably a good thing given the air quality around here.
06. The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers - My new UK staple.
05. LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem - It's tough to create a double cd with no filler, but James Murphy seems to have the right recipe here. This is the kind of record that I wish I knew how to dance to.
04. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm - Their live show certainly elevates the album that much more.
03. The National - Alligator - This one grew on me a bit, and initially was only attracted to a few songs but the consistency from beginning to end is something most groups should aspire to.
02. Andrew Bird - Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production of Eggs - Great songwriting, and I've always had a thing for violins in pop music so this certainly fits in.
01. Architecture in Helsinki - In Case We Die - I regret missing their Detroit show two weeks or so ago, but you've never walked from the tunnel a mile or two down Woodward at midnight before.

Honorable mention: Spoon- Gimme Fiction, Brazilian Girls- Brazilian Girls, Common- Be, Fischerspooner- Odyssey, Kaiser Chiefs- Employment, Doves- Some Cities