Thursday, May 05, 2005

"I don't even know you, you mad bastard"



Enduring Love (Paramount Classics) - A thriller that really captures the psychological mindset, and how it can be distorted greatly amongst characters afflicted by the same tragedy. Excellent story, acting, and cinematography. A

Sin City (Dimension Films) - I think everything that's been said about the marvels, both technically, aesthetically, and storywise are pretty much bang on, and I won't say anything to the contrary. Having never read the graphic novels it didn't really click in until watching it a second time to understand how the stories relate to each other, but Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez do really give a lasting impression of the atmosphere surrounding where these characters are established. Part of me hopes they don't make any sequels around this franchise to preserve the integrity of the original, but another part hopes the same players return to further sate my appetite in learning more about the inner workings of Basin City. A

Assault on Precinct 13 (Focus) - Granted this is a remake, and while I did watch the movie under the heavy influence of alcohol, overall it was not enough to warrant me not passing out for. The camera work and setting seem to tell one story, and yet it looks like the cast and their wardrobes were bussed in from the set of another movie shooting nearby. The story seems greatly exaggerated, and while I can't say how faithful or divergent it is from the original, I'm fairly confident the acting was better. Lawrence Fishburne reprises his obscure philosopher motif from the Matrix movies, while Ethan Hawke squeezes out what's left of the confident yet insecure rookie cop role from Training Day. Not to mention the limited acting range displayed by Ja Rule and Drea de Matteo (I'm starting to wonder how she won an award for her work on the Sopranos, everything else she's done has been shite). D-